Saturday 28 May 2011

Loving the new bike

Thanks Christmas, Bank of M&D and Gearheads for the fancy pants transition pro that I'm riding this season. Its a very welcome change from the soft ride. Stiffer, more aero, more comfortable and all that good stuff.

I also have an adamo road saddle on it which took a while to get used to, but now that its on there, I really love it. The idea is that it allows better blood flow and keeps you on your sit bones, rather than your perineum (gooch). It took three of four rides to get used to and I think that its just as much a mental switch as anything else. You have to sit on it as thought its a skinny saddle (for some reason this concept reminds me of Homer Simpson absorbing speedos between his buttocks like at 0:32), even though its like 4 times as wide as most road saddles. At first there was some pressure from its girth, but that just kind of went away. Once I got used to it, I found the saddle could take a lot more of my weight that I was used to. I'm pretty sure I'm putting out more watts than before because of how it takes my weight. So thats working out really well.

I also got a new fit with the new saddle from Damien at Gearheads and thats been working out really well. I'm a little more aggressive on the bike than before, so I ended up moving my aerobars forward a little to take a bit of stress off my shoulders. I was able to get a change to ride into head winds today too which felt a lot easier than a few weeks ago, probably due to training, better aerodynamics and the new saddle. I also have a spacer under my left foot because my left tibia is shorter than its counterpart and thats helped me to generate power across the bottom of pedal stroke on that side.

All in all, I'm pumped about my bike and fit. No pain anywhere today (4x30min tempo intervals) and with some excellent post workout nutrition, hopefully no pain tomorrow either!

Welland half iron is now on the visible horizon (June 26th) and I'm really excited about that. If all goes well, it'll go something like this: :29+:01+2:24+:01+1:30=4:30. That would put me in the top 10 from last year and be a substantial personal best.

No comments:

Post a Comment